Latest Lego Ideas set - 21301 Birds

The latest Lego Ideas set is revealed! 21301 Birds, will fly to Lego stores in January 2015.

Today, let's check out the first look of the final set, also the interview with Tom Poulsom - the project's creator.

The details on all birds are lovely! This definitely is a beautiful, inspiring and wonderful set.






Below is the interview with Tom Poulsom:

Tim Courtney: How long have you been building with LEGO bricks?
Tom Poulsom: I have been building with LEGO bricks on and off since I was five years old. I have two older brothers and first started playing with their collection.
TC: What inspired you to build this model and put it on LEGO Ideas?
TP: The majority of my creations have been replicas of man-made objects (cars, trucks and spaceships) I wanted to build something different, creating something to look organic seemed like a nice challenge.  I have always loved nature and being a tree surgeon and gardener I get a lot of inspiration from my job.  I was digging a vegetable patch one day and during a quick break I noticed a Robin land on my fork handle.  This was the inspiration behind "Bobby the Robin". I built him that evening and enjoyed building this bird so much that I decided to build some of my favorite birds from Europe. Once I had built seven birds I posted one a day on Flickr. They were a hit! I couldn't believe the attention I received.  A follower suggested I add the birds to LEGO Ideas and here I am now with an official LEGO set containing my Idea.
TC: Did you run into any challenges when designing these models?
TP: The birds are a big challenge to build, building something to look organic from LEGO bricks is not easy, but it is a great challenge and one I enjoy very much. I like to think of LEGO as the best puzzle in the world.
TC: What did you do to promote your project?
TP: To promote my project I used social media such as Facebook and Twitter. I set up a LEGO Birds Facebook page  and shared my idea with companies and organisations which were relevant to my project.  I worked very hard with my idea and was constantly adding new species of birds to keep the attention coming. I also had huge amounts of help and support from my lovely fans and for that I am very appreciative.
TC: What advice can you give to other LEGO Ideas members with active projects?
TP: My advice to LEGO Ideas users would be to have an original idea and put lots of effort and passion in to the project. Use social media as much as possible and never give up.

Feature Post

Bandai new items info (July to Sept 2024 release)

Bandai just announced the new items that going to release in July ~ Sept 2024. Here I summarized the new items that I’m going to bring in. P...

Most read articles